His new book details some of the craziest parts of his life (Picture: PA/ Getty)
Prince Harry’s long-awaited book was finally released at midnight, and Metro’s own feature’s Queen Amanda Cable has come up with her favourite spots from the new book.
It might feel like we’ve already read every page, cover to cover, without it even hitting the shelves – but we can guarantee you haven’t.
From a frozen royal member to the Queen joking about Harry’s bald patch in their last ever conversation – here Amanda Cable choses 15 of the wackiest reveals from ‘Spare’.
The wackiest reveals from 'Spare'
• The King still wants his favourite old teddy bear with him for comfort – after being bullied as a child. ‘Teddy went everywhere with Pa.,’ Harry reveals. It was a pitiful object, with broken arms and dangly threads, holes patched up here and there.’
• Harry’s todger was frostbitten at William and Kate’s wedding – after a charity trip to Antarctica before the big day. Harry reveals ‘While the ears and cheeks were already healing, the todger wasn’t. It was becoming more of an issue by the day.’ He applied Elizabeth Arden cream to his crown jewel.
Harry was resting up a chilly willy as he walked behind his brother and Kate down the aisle (Picture: Getty)
• Harry reveals he was circumcised as a tot, saying ‘While it’s absolutely true that the chance of getting penile frostbite is much greater if you’re not circumcised . . . I was snipped as a baby.’
• Harry joked with the Queen about his bald patch just four days before she died. During their final phone call they discussed ‘turmoil at Number 10 and the severe UK drought. Harry joked that the grass was like his head – ‘balding and brown in patches.’ It made the queen laugh.
• Meghan was offered marmite crumpets when she first met Charles and Camilla for tea at Clarence House – and didn’t wear much make up because Charles ‘didn’t approve of women who wore a lot.’ Harry also asked Meghan to wear her hair loose, saying ‘Pa likes it when women wear their hair down.’
Marmite crumpets were on the menu for Meghan (Picture: Rex)
• Kate pulled a face when Meghan asked to borrow her lip gloss – in an ‘awkward moment’ in 2018. Harry claims that Meghan, having forgotten her lip gloss before the Waleses’ Royal Foundation Forum, asked Kate if she could borrow hers. Kate, taken aback, went into her handbag and ‘reluctantly’ pulled out a small tube. ‘Meg squeezed some onto her finger and applied it to her lips. Kate grimaced.’
• When Harry first told William and Kate that he was dating Meghan Markle in 2017, ‘Willy’ told him to ‘f*** off!’ It turned out they were Suits Superfans. ‘I was baffled until Willy and Kate explained that they were regular—nay, religious—viewers of ‘Suits,’ Harry recalled. ‘ . . .All this time I’d thought Willy and Kate might not welcome Meg into the family, but now I had to worry about them hounding her for an autograph.’
Apparently William and Kate were massive Suits fans before they met Meghan (Picture: Netflix / Rex / Shutterstock)
• When Meghan threw her arms around Prince William with a welcoming hug on their first meeting, it completely ‘freaked him out.’ Harry recalled ‘He recoiled. Willy didn’t hug many strangers. Whereas Meg hugged most strangers.’
• Charles and Camilla wanted Kate to change the spelling of her name to Katherine with a K – because they felt too many people in the family had the initial C.
• Stepmother Camilla changed Harry’s bedroom at Clarence House into her dressing room, shortly after he moved out.
Camilla wasted no time after Harry moved out of Clarence House (Picture: Getty)
• When 13-year-old Prince Harry met the Spice Girls on a trip to south Africa with his father, Baby Spice ‘fixated’ on his. ‘She kept pinching them,’ he recalls. But he identified with Ginger Spice – saying ‘A fellow ginger.’
• Harry recalled his father would exercise daily in his bedroom, often dressed only in boxer shorts, doing headstands or hanging from a bar ‘liked a skilled acrobat.’ The extreme extercises were prescribed by his physio to help ease pain in his back from old polo injuries.
• When Harry was born, his father wanted to call him Albert after Queen Victoria’s beloved husband – but Diana put her foot down and refused.
• Before leaving to serve in Afghanistan, Harry’s private secretary asked him to choose the spot where his remains would be interred ‘should the worse happen, Your Royal Highness. . . war being an uncertain thing.’ Harry had chosen the Royal Burial Ground.
He was asked to choose where he wanted to be buried if he was killed in Afghanistan (Picture: PA)
• Prince Charles ‘was always sniffing things.’ Harry recalls ‘Food, roses, our hair. He must’ve been a bloodhound in another life.’
• As a prank at Eton, Harry allowed a pal to shave his hair. Horrified by the result, he ran upstairs to show his brother, Prince William – who laughed and asked what Harry had done. Harry recalls ‘He sounded like Stewie from Family Guy.’
‘Spare’ by Prince Harry is out now, £28, Bantam